Monday, January 21, 2008

*

I had a creative writing professor who said that there is good nonsense and bad nonsense . . . he didn't elaborate:  

Scraevo puh puh puh naft!

Fweenie wiloshkunumpsence.  

Aipho dullupskudug.

Piskerene daive dutter. 

With no criteria apart from my own aesthetic sensibility, I feel that the above is an example of excellent nonsense.  That is the only kind of which I am capable.  

I challenge anyone to come up with superior nonsense.  I will judge you and critique your attempt.  Bring it.  Hit that comment button.  Do it!  



2 comments:

Barbara said...

Sklar! Sklar pnoptunop!

ASHES said...

It's a good effort b . . . if that IS your real name.

You do a spondee dactyl combination -- that's pretty weird. I like your consonant clusters -- (the most interesting of which is the "pt" in middle of pnoptunop).

Sense nonsense is sort of necessarily phonetic, I don't know if you get credit for the silent p at the beginning of pnoptunop, but it's kind of cool to begin and end with "p", so you don't lose points for it.

I don't feel a lot of onomatopoeia in your words -- which isn't to say that onomatopoeia is required, but it does add oomph. I think we can agree that sklar is no snickersnack.

Your nonsense is a little clunky b. And, maybe overwrought. So, I decree that you have NOT surpassed my nonsense. However, you should take heart. Because you made the sole attempt during the period before I lost interest, you are the Grand Champion! Your prize is the indentured servant of your choice and bragging rights for the remainder of this hour.