Saturday, January 19, 2008

*

In the battle of the sexes -- such as it is -- I've historically been a staunch member of the male team.  Always very black-ops and deep cover about it, I don't think that many would classify me as a misogynist or even the less aggressive male-chauvinist.  Not seriously.  But, in fact, I was a true patriot of the XY nation, and I was happy for any opportunity to challenge what I perceived as a Bond-she-villain-like thigh grip on the social spheres of the world (presumably ruled by an intricate network of covens and sororities).  In my campaigns, I've even made some converts.  

My reasons for choosing the male side are many and varied.  Mostly, I didn't want to end up as a beast of burden.  Among numerous other places, I saw evidence of the female agenda at work in the routines of stand-up comedians during the 80s and 90s.  It's almost a cliche for a comedian to poke fun at the "fact" that women are intuitive, insightful, and high-minded while men are dull-witted and driven by purely carnal urges -- these jokes would get wild howls of approval from the female audience and, overtime, genial laughter from the cowed males.  (Stand-up comedians are an unconventional choice for propaganda machines -- ooooh, the covens are so insidious!)  I have in the last year or so, retired from the field of battle.  I've discovered that happy well-adjusted people rarely debate about which sex has it better -- they just live their happy well-adjusted lives and assume that everyone has it great.  I like that lifestyle better, so the XY nation will have to carry-on without me.  I've gone Ronin.  

However, I find myself in an unusual situation -- not unlike that of Frederick the Great of Prussia.  Frederick the Great, or Frederick II was kind of a fop in his youth and probably gay (we haven't reached the part that resembles me yet; this is just background).  His stern father, Frederick I, who had raised one of -- maybe the most -- disciplined and scary armies in the world at the time, did not approve of Frederick II's French speaking, flute playing, or poetry reading; and, they had a strained relationship until F1's death.  When Frederick II ascended to the Prussian throne, he was given the appellate "the Great" by his buddy Voltaire who regarded the Prussian king as the ideal ruler -- thoughtful, sensitive, a philosopher, probably gay, &c.  But, Frederick the Great inherited more than the throne; he inherited his father's badass war machine.  And, perhaps more significantly, he inherited his father's military genius . . . So, after tremendous inner turmoil and to the shock of the fancy salon attending world, Frederick the Great used his various gifts to attack weaker European countries, expanded Prussia -- and became just like his father (this would be an AWESOME movie.)  So, here is where this is like me: I have an arsenal of anti-feminist arguments at my finger-tips, and I have the talent to wield them like a Prussia of words (actually, I think that I have it even harder than FTG because my gay friends frequently agree with my barroom diatribes!).  But, I have chosen another path.  I am now a man of peace. 

This shit better get me laid . . . 

No comments: